The Ministry of Transport & Communication, hereinafter referred to as MTC, is the governmental department responsible for the conception, execution, coordination and evaluation of policies defined and approved by the Council of Ministers for the areas of Land transport, maritime and air civilian and auxiliary services, communications, including postal, telegraph, telephone and other telecommunications, use of space radio, meteorological services and information technology.
In pursuit of its mission, functions of MTC are :
- To propose policies and draft the necessary regulations to their areas of responsibility;
- Ensure the implementation and enforcement of the legal and regulatory activities related to the Ministry;
- Coordinate and promote the management, maintenance and modernization of airport infrastructure, air navigation, highway, road and port;
- Propose and execute the policy guidelines of the Ministry in the fields of urbanism, infrastructure, road network, buildings, housing and public works;
- Create and implement the legal and regulatory framework to mili-ness of construction, including the exercise of its licensing and research materials;
- To study and perform works for the protection, conservation and repair of bridges, roads, river and sea, with a view to flood control;
- Promote the adoption of technical standards and regulations relating to materials used in construction, and to develop laboratory tests to ensure safety of buildings;
- Licensing and supervising all urban buildings, including private, public or autonomous entities, in accordance with applicable law;
- Maintain and develop a national system of monitoring and information on the status of works and on the construction materials, including the effects of floods on infrastructure;
- Prepare and develop, in cooperation with other public services, the implementation of the road plan of the national territory and national land development plans;
- To develop and regulate the activity of optimizing communications and the media;
- Ensure the coordination of transport and encourage complementarity between its various modes, as well as their competitiveness in order to better satisfy the users;
- To promote the management of radio spectrum, and the adoption of technical standards and regulations concerning the public use of communications services;
- Ensure the provision of public services of telecommunications and use of space radio through public enterprises or the granting of public service delivery to private entities;
- To manage the use of heavy equipment and machinery allocated to the State Department;
- Maintain and develop the national information systems and meteorological and seismological monitoring, including the construction and maintenance of related infrastructure;
- Manage the information technology system of government and ensure the provision of their services, and implement computer systems in the country;
- Promote and coordinate scientific research and technological development in the areas of land, air and sea of a civil nature;
- Establish mechanisms for collaboration and coordination with other Government bodies responsible for related areas;
- To perform other duties necessary to accomplish tasks of the Ministry.
GUIDANCE AND SUPERVISION
- The MTC is superiorly protected by the Minister of Transport & Communication that he oversees and is accountable to the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Transport & Communication is assisted in carrying out their duties, the Vice Minister
- The Vice Minister exercise the powers delegated to them by the Minister of Transport & Communication, under the law.
MTC carries out its tasks through integrated services in direct and indirect state.
- Part of the direct administration of the State, under the MTC, the following core services and programs:
- Office of Inspection and Audit;
- Directorate General for Transport and Communications;
- Under the guidance and supervision of MTC, continuing tasks of the Ministry, the following services of indirect state administrative authorities:
- Port Administration of East Timor.
- Administration of Airports and Air Navigation of East Timor, EP
- Civil Aviation Authority of Timor-Leste;
- Services referred to above with legal personality, administrative and financial autonomy and governed by their own laws that have been approved under the law.